Toyota uses A3 reports to communicate and manage its problem solving
The A3 report, named for the printer paper size, is deployed by Toyota to serve the following problem solving needs:
- Summarize problem information collection
- Propose solutions
- Provide on-going status of improvement projects
The report should be short and concise, one or two pages, with simple, easy to understand graphics.
Toyota’s A3 report consists of basic building blocks in problem identification and resolution:
- Description of the current state with reference data and supporting diagram, where appropriate
- Discussion of the root cause by analyzing why the current state condition exists
- Stating the countermeasures, or resolution actions, that can be deployed to resolve the problem with target metrics and supporting diagram of the future state
- Details of the implementation plan, including the individual improvements, and the plan to sustain the future state
The Toyota A3 report has been developed for the workforce to use, as everyone’s job is to improve the process and resolve problems.
A3 is a process enabled by the form. Avoid mistakes in its application.
Whittier Consulting details the A3 report format (PDF).
Toyota A3 References:
- Managing to Learn: Using the A3 Management Process
- The One-Page Project Manager for Execution: Drive Strategy and Solve Problems with a Single Sheet of Paper
- A3 Problem Solving for Healthcare: A Practical Method for Eliminating Waste